Thursday, December 23, 2010

Bikers, One Percenters and Motorcycle Clubs

There is a difference between the 3 groups listed above. In my view a Biker is a guy like me who loves to ride and loves his bike. I’m not affiliated with any kind of club, I just love riding, either with mates or by myself or in a group.

A Motorcycle Club is a group of like minded riders who love to get together and have a ride or have a beer or a feed and have a good time. Not involved in any illegal activities or any shit like that, just a group of people who like to hang out and have something in common. Like the Harley or Kawasaki Owners Groups or the Ulysses Motorcycle Club.

A One Percenter (also known as an Outlaw Motorcycle Club) is a group who may or may not be involved in illegal activities.

I have met a couple of guys in Outlaw clubs, one in the Banditos and one from the Gypsy Jokers. We had a chat while smoking at a rest stop and I can say – these dudes rocked. Not only friendly as all hell but honest and funny guys.

Everyone in the media has these guys painted in the worst kind of light. The image portrayed is that of a group of homicidal rapists who are so wired on Crystal Meth they have no idea what year it is.

This is simply not true.

Granted I am not a member of any club and granted I haven’t met every member of these gangs but I know enough to know how to behave. Treat them with respect and you get it back.

This poor paint job has covered the rest of us too, the bikers and the clubs. I ride a Suzuki GS500F, a road bike, nothing like a Harley or a cruiser and yet I have seen and heard people as I walk past in all my gear.

“Don’t look at him honey” a mother will often say to her small child. I heard this shit in a doctor’s waiting room for fuck sake. What do these people expect me to do in a god damn waiting room? Rape their kid in front of them?   

In the same night I pulled into Dominos Pizza to get dinner on my way home. As I got of my bike and took my helmet off, I saw some guy looking at me. He stared at me as I walked in and waited for my order. This wasn’t a ‘he’s hot’ kind of stare it was a ‘oh my god I’m in danger’ stare.

I went outside and lit up a cigarette and this asshole was still staring at me, same look in his eyes. I looked over and said “what do you want?” he jumped and scampered away like a frightened dog.

I’m not the most imposing or threatening kind of guy. I’m of a normal, standard height and an abnormal weight. I feel tank in all my gear but I really don’t look it. I often say I look like a bowling pin. So the only thing I could pin this look of terror on was because I was a biker.

Well I got pissed god damn it...   

No comments:

Post a Comment